Monday, May 7, 2012

Rhubarb Loaf

Local rhubarb has been appearing at the market, just in time for a Sunday baking/therapy session.  The weekend was so beautiful for being out of doors I was glad to have prepared these loaves (the recipe yields two) just after breakfast. The brown sugar/butter/cinnamon topping made the house smell dreamy while I cleaned up the kitchen. And I got to spend the rest of the day outside.

I wish I was more creative with rhubarb but I count this as a win. David hates rhubarb (some long lingering childhood trauma involving pie that was supposed to be apple but clearly was not on first bite) but he liked this loaf. I ate my still-warm slice with a toasted coconut latte. Which may sound like a lot of flavours going on but it totally worked.



Rhubarb Loaf (or muffins) from Canadian Living

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, blend sugar with oil; whisk in egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients along with rhubarb just until flour is incorporated. Spoon into two greased 8x4 inch loaf pans (or greased/paper-lined muffin tins, filling three-quarters full). Combine sugar, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment