Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spinach salad with maple-dijon vinaigrette

I served this salad with a stew from The New Best Recipe Cookbook on Sunday February 22nd. TNBR is a standard in my kitchen. I use it all the time and have rarely been disappointed in a dish. Despite this recommendation for TNBR you'll note that my post is about salad, a recipe which I clipped from Cooking Light, March 2008. Don't get me wrong, the stew was good. (Better the second day, but I digress.) The reason I wanted to highlight the salad is because of the conversation I had with my husband while putting it together, which went something like this:

H: What's that?

Me (Cleaning spinach): Dinner.

H: I thought we were having stew.

Me (Chopping onion): We are. This is salad. To go with the stew.

H: Looks like a lot of trouble for salad.

Me (Coring an apple): It's about enough trouble for a salad. Trust me, you'll like it.

H: Is that bacon?

Me (Frying bacon): Yes.

H: For the stew?

Me (Slicing mushrooms): No, for the salad.

H: Looks like a lot of trouble for salad.

I won't lie to you. It was a lot of trouble for salad. What with the spinning and the draining, the chopping and the mincing, the splash of this and dollop of that. But I am a sucker for bacon and maple syrup season is just around the corner in our neck of the woods, so the sweet stuff has been on my mind. The verdict?

H: Wow. This is good salad. Is there more?

Me: Thanks. Plenty.

This salad recipe can be found on MyRecipes.com courtesy of Cooking Light magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment