Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fall Flashback - Pumpkin Cheeseball

I was poking through pictures from October 2009 last week when I came upon this one:


If memory serves I was cutting up veggies for a veggie tray when I was suddenly inspired to stick a broccoli stalk into the top of a cheeseball I had made to make it look like a pumpkin. And since I always take things one step further than I likely should, I then decided to try and turn my pumpkin cheeseball into a jack-o-lantern cheeseball. Which I accomplished with cucumber pieces. The final product was served on the one piece of genuine Fiesta-ware that I own, courtesy of my maternal grandmother.

I realize I am not unique in my cheeseball-as-pumpkin concept. Sweetspot.ca has a recipe for Mini Cheese Ball Pumpkins that I could totally get behind if I wasn't, well, lazy. And I am very intrigued by this Savory Pumpkin Cheese Ball recipe from ifood, which actually contains pumpkin.

We ate our pumpkin cheeseball with plenty o' crackers and a yummy homemade roasted squash soup on a cold Fall Saturday afternoon.

Cheeseball

8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup cheese whiz
1/2 cup grated cheddar
1 tbsp grated onion
few drops wooster sauce
few drops tabasco sauce
1 cup chopped walnuts

Using an electric mixer beat cream cheese, cheese whiz and grated cheddar until combined. Add onion, wooster and tabasco sauce. Scrape mixture out of bowl onto waxed paper. Roll in walnuts (optional).


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

4 cups peeled butternut squash
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups milk

Place squash in 2 qt baking dish coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat squash with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Melt butter in dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash and broth to pan; bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Reduce heat and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Place 1/3 of squash mixture in blender. Remove centre piece of blender lid to allow steam to escape. Place clean towel over opening in blender lid to avoid splatters. Or burning your hand. Blend until smooth, pour into large bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment