These are seriously moist brownies. They are so moist I was almost worried I hadn't cooked them enough. They are a very fudgy brownie - not as cakey as some I've tried...more...what's the word? Oh yeah. Moist. The peppermint cheesecake is a nice surprise. You're eating a perfectly wonderful (and did I mention moist?) chocolate brownie when suddenly, yum! Peppermint cheesecake! So hopefully these do the trick and get everyone in the office over the disappointment of having to miss work for three days. The two day work week...think that will catch on?
Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
2. To prepare cheesecake batter, place cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add granulated sugar and peppermint extract; beat well. Add 1 egg and 1 egg white; beat well. Add 1 tablespoon flour; beat mixture just until blended.
3. To prepare brownie batter, weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces (about 1 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 4.5 ounces flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, 2 egg whites, and 1 egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture; beat at low speed just until blended.
4. Reserve 1/2 cup of brownie batter. Pour remaining batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Carefully pour cheesecake batter over top; spread evenly to edges. Dot cheesecake batter with reserved brownie batter. Swirl top two layers of batters together using the tip of a knife. Bake at 350° for 26 minutes or until top is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.