Friday, May 27, 2011

Reading Munchies

Do you snack while you read? I do, sometimes. In fact I have a very clear (and dear) memory of reading V.C. Andrews novels lounging on the floor of my room while eating Hostess BBQ chips and drinking Welch's grape soda. I must have been around fourteen at the time. This memory horrifies me on a number of levels. Would I let my boys read V.C. Andrews at fourteen? Not on your life. And why was I drinking grape soda on the floor of my white carpeted room? And those chips! I would eat an entire big bag by myself in one sitting. And I was skinny as a rail. I miss my fourteen year old self. My fourteen year old self loved the 'Flowers in the Attic' series. I haven't thought about those books in years. I imagine if I still had this particular series (which I don't) the pages would be smeared with greasy, red fingerprints. And the occasional splatter of purple soda.



My tastes, both in terms of reading and reading snacks, have certainly evolved since I was fourteen. If you're really interested in what I like to read check out My Library Thing profile here: http://www.librarything.com/home/jlrobinson99. Of late I can't seem to stop reading mysteries, in particular Scandinavian / Icelandic themed mysteries. And I've only just discovered Agatha Christie, which is ridiculous since I am and always have been an avid reader, particularly of mysteries. I don't tend to snack when I read as much as I did when I was young. My metabolism can't take it, for one thing. However this past Monday I made the mistake of spending Victoria Day in the kitchen where I put together some snack mix that turned out to be the perfect reading companion. A small bowl that I set in the library ended up disappearing rather quickly and there was no mystery as to where it went. I was reading Laura Lippman's The Girl in the Green Raincoat which was perfect for a damp, drizzly May afternoon. A good book with a cup of tea and a bowl of Maple Soy Snack Mix, curled up in my library with my boys puttering around...doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment