Thursday, August 11, 2011

Break-up Zucchini Tomato Tart

One of the ways I have been trying to challenge myself in the kitchen is to be more creative with cooking vegetables. At this time of year, when zucchini becomes abundant (i.e. is everywhere at market), I typically stir-fry or grill it into submission. It's only ever okay. So I decided to try something completely different and take zucchini to the next level by making Zucchini Tomato Tart. (Which, by the time you add in eggs and cheese and pastry, likely diminishes the nutritional value of the zucchini. Let's overlook that, shall we?)

I'm glad I made this tart because I it has helped me confirm something I've been wondering about for a long time. I don't like zucchini. Zucchini bread, sure (particularly with chocolate) but despite making this lovely tart I still haven't cracked the zucchini code, so to speak. I don't fault the recipe. Besides zucchini this tart features tomato, egg and smoked Gouda cheese. All things that I like. The pastry is frozen puff pastry thawed, rolled thin, gently pressed into a tart pan. (Another reason I'm glad I made this tart - I have never used my tart pan, and I had an excuse to buy puff pastry. Still have half a pack in my freezer.) David actually quite liked this tart which was a surprise to both of us. I didn't even bother offering it to the boys since I could think of no way to 'sell' it. Sell as in 'It's like spaghetti, chicken, scrambled eggs...try it, you'll like it'.

I ate a wedge of this tart the next day for lunch and I liked it a bit better leftover. But still. I think I'm ready to admit I just don't like zucchini and stop buying it. Hence the title of this post. Sorry zucchini. I'm breaking up with you. It's not you, it's me. Really. I'll admit that for years, I never really made an effort to serve you at your best, but this time, this time I really tried and well...you know. See above. Don't worry. We'll still see each other sometimes, when I make zucchini bread or muffins for the kids. And I still like you in Lasagna. But I think it's best we keep this relationship casual. No hard feelings, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment