Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Curried Parsnip Soup

Well, you can hardly be surprised that another dish featuring curry should appear after my entry on Curried Cauliflower and Apple soup. I've got a whole bottle of curry powder to use up. And this time, parsnips in the crisper. I love parsnips. I know they don't look like much, but cooked properly they are delicious. I really enjoyed them in this soup, which I adapted into 'cream of' curried parsnip soup.


It's been a really up and down Winter, with the weather bringing us record highs one day and record lows the next. I don't mind Winter, but I do mind being subjected to four seasons in one day, which seems to be the norm any more. I actually quite like Winter, real Winter, with snow and cold and ice and gusty winds. Because when it's really Winter it feels good to come home (carefully, carefully, on slippery, slushy roads) and have a hot bowl of soup and a nice grilled cheese for dinner. It feels good to slip into a really hot bath with a really great book (so many of my favourite authors releasing new books over the next few weeks). There's even something great about going outside to play in fresh snow. Maybe the fact that you can come inside with red, rosy cheeks and get warmed up with soup!


This recipe is from the Bon Appetit cookbook. Usually I can find recipes from this collection on the Epicurious website but that not this one.

Curried Parsnip Soup

3 tbsp butter
1 pound parsnips, peeled, sliced
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp flour
2 tsp curry powder
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup whipping cream

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add parsnips, onion and garlic. Cover and cook until vegetables begin to soften but not color, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Mix in flour and curry powder, stir 2 minutes. Gradually mix in beef broth. Increase heat to medium, cover and simmer until parsnips are tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.

This is the part where I poured the contents of my pot into my Ninja and blended away. I know I should blend in small batches, but my Ninja is a monster so I did it all in one shot. And then I strained the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, and added the 1/2 cup of whipping cream. Heat, serve, deliciousness.

Lately I've had a thing for creamed soups. I like parsnips and all, but the texture of the soup after it was blended just wasn't working for me. Much too thick. Straining it was entirely the right call. I should also note that I am so glad that the boys bought me the Ninja with the small food processor bowl attachment. D. wasn't sure I would use this particular accessory but I love it. I've used it for chopping onions, blending tomatoes and whipping cream cheese. I can't wait to discover new uses for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment