Peanut Butter Gingersnaps (from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice and salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/3 cup light peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons molasses
1 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together both flours, baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Set aside. Combine granulated sugar and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat together brown sugar, peanut butter and butter on medium speed of electric mixer for about 1 minute. Add molasses, egg and vanilla. Beat again until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture. You will be making a stiff dough. Using your hands, shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll balls in reserved cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart (they spread a lot when baking). Flatten cookies slightly using a fork.
- Bake cookies for 7 minutes. They may appear undercooked, but that’s okay. Remove cookies from oven and immediately transfer from pan to a wire rack to cool.