Sunday, November 24, 2013

More soup...

I know it's rather predictable but in my defence it was the perfect day for making soup today. We were basically snowed in all day thanks to a band of snow squalls moving through the area. So while I hunkered down in the kitchen with some sweet potatoes and carrots my kids hunkered down in the family room with a DVD from the Library on things that explode. Win-win.

This week I tried a Carrot and Sweet Potato soup made with curry powder that I found a perfect antidote to a cold Winter (or is it still technically Fall?) day. I did modify this soup slightly. I couldn't be bothered peeling an apple and was running low on chicken stock so added apple juice instead. I also didn't add the honey since I felt the soup was sweet enough after I had pureed everything. I've decided that for me, a deal-breaker with a soup is its consistency. This one was perfect. I don't love a thick soup.

Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup from Once Upon a Chef

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus a bit more for serving
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 small), peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • 8 cups chicken broth, best quality such as Swanson
  • 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
  • tart yet sweet apple (such as Honeycrisp or Fuji), peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • Freshly ground black pepper





























  1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Do not brown. Add the curry powder and cook a minute more.
  2. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the apples and honey. Using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, cool the soup slightly, then puree in a blender in batches. Be sure to leave the hole in the lid open to allow the steam to escape.) Season to taste with salt, pepper and more honey if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with more curry powder if desired. (Note: As the soup sits, it will thicken up so you may need to add a bit of water to thin it out.)

Two weeks ago I made a fantastic soup - and I can't find the recipe! It wasn't complicated and while I think I can remember all of the ingredients I really wish I could remember where I got this recipe from…it's basically a roasted vegetable soup. Start by roasting some butternut squash with a cut up carrot, celery and an onion. Then add all of the roasted vegetables to a pot with a can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for maybe 15 minutes. Then puree everything. This was such a good soup! I'm afraid to try it again from memory but I might have to do just that. Too good not to recreate. And perfect with a grilled cheese on days like this….


No comments:

Post a Comment