Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lasagna

We're all getting a bit tired of roasts and stews around our house, the traditional fare of cold Canadian winters. Spring sprung as of last Friday and while the snow disappeared from our yard a couple of weeks ago (good riddance) the chill in the air still speaks of 'stick to your ribs' food. I decided lasagna could be a compromise dish - hearty enough for Winter but with a promise of Spring.

I've tried lots of lasagna recipes over the years. Some were simple but most were complicated. Ironically, the best lasagna I ever made was one I put together with leftovers found in the fridge. Ever since my 'discovery' it's the only lasagna I make. It uses ingredients that are typically available where I live year round and this Sunday when I served it, my older son actually tried and liked it. So it is definitely a keeper.

Lasagna
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, diced
1 red pepper, diced
handful of button mushrooms, sliced
1 package tofu, crumbled
2 jars spaghetti sauce (I usually use a basic sauce)
1 large block of mozzarella cheese
1 box of precooked lasagna noodles

Heat some oil in a skillet. Add the onion with some minced garlic (if you have on hand) and saute until softened. Add the diced zucchini and red pepper. Saute for another couple of minutes, then add the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms soften (another minute or two) add the tofu and spaghetti sauce. Saute until heated through.

Spoon a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9x12 glass baking dish. Top with lasagna noodles. Put another layer of sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add more noodles and a last layer of sauce. Sprinkle with more mozzarella cheese and a bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese (if you have on hand). Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment