Saturday, March 28, 2009

Something simple

I'm thinking of roast chicken for Sunday dinner this week, along with a roasted vegetable salad from a recent Cook's Illustrated (Spring Entertaining) that I couldn't resist picking up at the grocery store a few weeks ago. As for dessert, I thought I would go simple and make something ahead of time. I settled on Sweet Maries, which I always make using a recipe from a community cookbook my mom gave me a copy of years ago. You know the type of cookbook I mean - this one was produced by the local Optimist club sometime in the late seventies. Definitely produced using a typewriter, and includes recipes for things like Frozen Cherry Salad Loaf, Chipit Crunchies, Saucy Beef Roles and (a personal fav around our house) Seven Layer Dinner. All kidding aside, some of the recipes in this collection are keepers, the Sweet Maries being one example. So if you're looking for a super simple Spring treat give these a try:


Sweet Maries
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
4-5 cups of rice krispies

Heat first three ingredients on top of stove until blended. Quickly add 4-5 cups of rice krispies and pack in 9x9 pan. Add chocolate icing to top when cooled.


Personally, I find the chocolate icing to be a must for this recipe. My husband would gladly eat them without. My favourite chocolate icing for Sweet Maries comes from Rose Murray, specifically a book called Hungry for Comfort which I highly recommend. You can't get any easier, or any tastier than this icing:

Easy Chocolate Icing
2 cups real chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter in bits

In small saucepan heat chocolate chips with milk over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in butter a little at time until smooth. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until firm enough to spread, about two hours.

I usually halve this recipe for the above Sweet Maries, but if you make a full batch never fear - you'll find something to do with it. Chocolate soup, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment