Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Cookie Fail

Really Martha? Really?

Shira's Cranberry Thumbprints sounded promising. I even got over the fact that my CT might not look the same as those pictured with the recipe before I started baking. Been there, done that. What I wasn't prepared for was an inedible cookie. Which is what I produced.

I'm willing to accept some responsibility for these cookies not turning out. I suspect I might have overmixed the dough since it resembled sand, which didn't work out so hot when I started trying to shape the cookies. Apart from that, I'm not sure what went wrong. Here is what I ended up with:


I did try one before ditching them. They're all squished together because I was about to sweep them off into the garbage then decided I should record my failures along with my successes. They tasted like sand. Or what I imagine sand might taste like, having never tasted sand before. Which shouldn't have surprised me given that's what they looked like earlier. Not destined to become a holiday classic at our house.

I had to recover quickly from this little setback, having made a promise of holiday goodies to deserving co-workers. So I went back in the archives for something festive yet simple. These should do the trick:


I first made these Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies in 2004. They are meant to be drizzled with white chocolate, which would make them extra festive, but I had to work with what was in my pantry so they will be served unadorned. They still taste good - three kinds of chocolate chips, chopped fresh (okay, frozen) cranberries, oatmeal...cinnamon. I have a whole whack of yummy homemade Christmas fruitcake to serve alongside.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to make D. for this birthday dinner. Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment