Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Not a Recipe

Just a quick post because I want to document that I did keep one of my (silent) New Year's Resolutions regarding food. 'Silent' because I didn't post it as part of my official list. I have really been trying not to waste food this year. I'm not generally a wasteful person, but because I try so many different recipes I often end up with ingredients that I don't know what to do with once I've used them for my original purpose. These ingredients tend to get chucked after weeks of me dodging them in the fridge, freezer or pantry. Well, tonight I pulled together dinner using (mostly) 'leftover' ingredients. And it wasn't too bad. My goal was to use up some frozen meatballs, a half jar of spaghetti sauce and a nearly full jar of chili sauce. I cooked the meatballs, boiled up some pasta (because we always have pasta in the house), heated the sauce(s), threw in the (cooked) meatballs, poured it all in a casserole dish, covered the whole shebang in the dregs of shredded mozzarella cheese kicking around my freezer and baked it for about a half hour. It wasn't the best baked pasta I've ever had, but for a Wednesday it was a perfectly respectable family dinner. And I made One-Bite Brownies while I was baking the pasta. At the same time, my friends. Because I have a double oven, oh yes I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment