Saturday, August 6, 2011

Comfort Food

Chocolate chip cookies. Scalloped potatoes. Lasagna. Tomato soup. Some of my favourite comfort foods. Fried egg sandwiches are another comfort food that I find myself craving every once in a while. My dad taught me how to make fried egg sandwiches. And I've made plenty in my day, many during my tenure as a sort-of fry cook in a small-town diner. The first few times I offered David a fried egg sandwich he turned up his nose. Then he saw me eating one and remarked how good it looked. All it took was one bite and he was hooked.


Here's how this works. Heat up a frying pan over medium heat and melt a small pat of butter. Crack an egg into the pan and cook to your liking. (I like my egg a bit runny but David prefers the yolk hard.) Grate some cheddar cheese and slice some tomato. Toast two pieces of sourdough bread and spread with some mayonnaise. Top the egg with the grated cheddar. Put the tomato on the bread and the egg on the tomato. Top with the other slice of bread. Serve with a cold Coke. Because it is impossible to eat a fried egg sandwich without a cold Coke. And really, why would you want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment