Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Zen Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins

Although the weather feels more like Summer I am still noticing touches of Fall here and there, such as the abundance of pumpkin flavoured goods on display wherever I go. I love baking and cooking with pumpkin. Sunday I made up a batch of Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins to use up the pumpkin I had left over from making Pumpkin (Quick) Bread. They are Zen muffins only because I enjoyed mine at my desk in my office with some Zen tea at work. 

These muffins, like the Pumpkin Bread I made earlier, use whole wheat flour (along with some regular white flour). I've been substituting whole wheat flour while baking lately and I can't say the taste or texture of anything I have made has suffered. (The kids haven't noticed so that's a bonus. Must remember to post Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe!) These muffins are dense but moist. The recipe suggests various add-ins but I left them plain. So perfect with a hot steaming cup of tea.




Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins from Peanut Butter Fingers
Makes 12 muffins

Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 18 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
Optional mix-ins: nuts, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, raisins

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with muffin cups.

Combine whole wheat flour through sugar in a large bowl and mix to evenly distribute ingredients.

In a separate bowl, mix egg, pumpkin, milk and canola oil.

Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture and stir until batter is thick and fully mixed. Fold in optional mix-ins.
Pour batter into muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes or until tops of the muffins bounce back when lightly touched. Cool, top with cinnamon or honey butter and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment