Friday, September 17, 2010

Disney World Dishes - Corn Bread

I have been to Disney World...a lot. I don't even want to say how many times because it's embarrassing. My family loves going to Disney World. It's as far from day-to-day reality as you can get with nice weather to boot. And a monorail! What's not to like?

Our last trip to Disney World we had a couple of stand out meals. One that I particularly enjoyed was the Hoop Dee Doo Review dinner which featured the first corn bread I've actually liked. I've always gone through the motions with corn bread. It's the kind of thing I think I should like. It works well with stew, chili, fried chicken...so versatile! And yet so disappointing. Until Hoop Dee Doo.

Now I must admit I might have enjoyed the HDDR corn bread so much because my husband got dragged on stage mid-way through dinner to participate in the show. When I booked the HDDR my husband made me promise that we (meaning he) would not have to participate in the show. I promised. We're sitting in the balcony, I said. No way can we get dragged into the action.

So when we were seated the night of our HDDR dinner near the front of the stage, just off to the right, I got a look. The nice Disney Cast Member perkily informed us that we'd been upgraded. For free! Uh-oh. How much to sit in the back?

My husband is not a joiner. He's perfectly wonderful and I love him to pieces, but he hates being the centre of attention. Which means that he is always chosen for things like audience participation theatre. When, mid-way through dinner the nice lady from the HDDR cast came and asked my husband if he would mind joining the show, he looked at me, looked at his two boys (wide-eyed and very excited for daddy) and threw aside his napkin with no hesitation. Sure, he said. Why not. Hence, the brave indian scout -


So while we enjoyed our corn bread, fried chicken, ribs and strawberry shortcake my husband gamely particpated in a scene right out of his worst nightmare. Because he knew the kids would love it even if he hated it. To make it up to him I make him corn bread. Whenever he wants. And remind him that it could have been worse. At least he wasn't the guy they dressed up as a fairy.

Walt Disney World Corn Bread - served at Fort Wilderness and Hoop Dee Doo Review

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 375 F.
Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add beaten eggs along with milk and vegetable oil. Use a whisk to stir mixture, mixing only enough to incorporate the elements. Pour batter into 13x9 baking pan hat has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Cut in wedges and serve. Makes 12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment