Friday, September 17, 2010

Sandwiches. Again.

I think I've talked about my obsession with sandwiches before. It continues. I borrowed this book from the Library a few weeks ago:


Basically both mom and daughter cook, but they have different styles. Mom is a little more traditional with what I would call 'fussier' dishes. Daughter makes food that is simple and perhaps more 'modern'. Whatever that means. Both are blond and thin and stylish. So 'dishes' is a kind of double entendre, right? Right. Anyhoo.

I copied a bunch of recipes from this book with a few selections from both mother and daughter. Last Saturday I tried the Mona Lisa sandwich (courtesy Devin) and it was very, very good. I'm always amazed at how often simple recipes become my favourite recipes. And not because they are simple - because the results are just so good.

The Mona Lisa is a chicken sandwich. I loved how the chicken for this 'wich was cooked because it used on-hand ingredients and it was fast. Egg white, bread crumbs, chicken fillet. Dip in egg, dip in bread crumbs. Cook in 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. I did this the other night and ended up cutting up the second chicken fillet for my kids, who enjoyed their Mona Lisa chicken but were less than satisfied with the name. They know the Mona Lisa is a painting of a woman, not a chicken. So what gives mum?

Once you have cooked the chicken all that is left to do to make the Mona Lisa sandwich is melt some mozzarella on top of your fillet, which you accomplish while also toasting your bun. I used ciabatta buns picked up from a local bakery. You spread a mixture of pesto and mayonnaise on the toasted bun and top with a nice slice of tomato (just bought some at the local outdoor market - so much better than plastic tomatoes from the supermarket) and fresh basil leaves.

Both my husband and I loved this sandwich. Which is why I enjoyed it both on Saturday and again mid-way through the week. But once again, no picture. I seriously remember thinking I should take a picture but I didn't want to stop eating. Seriously. That good.

No comments:

Post a Comment